FELDMAN HOUSE (Ricky Martin Home): Core Development Group founder Josh Borris took one look at the 2,600 square foot, 1953 midcentury home on Angelo Drive and saw a diamond in the rough. He envisioned a sprawling luxurious glass-walled hideaway that became home to Ricky Martin and his family. Having constructed over 25 custom homes on the Westside, Core Development Group is known for solving tough design challenges and coming up with amazing solutions, exceeding the needs of the ultra-affluent and famous, being able to translate the challenges of a complicated site with many constraints, into a unique and beautiful property.
Architects: JOSH BORRIS
Studio Name: Core Development Group
Located in Beverly Hills and home to many large estates, Core Development Group transformed the Ricky Martin house into a secluded and ultra-luxurious getaway with every conceivable amenity that captures the beauty of the outdoors without interrupting its natural serenity. The 11,500 square foot home is hidden in plain sight, nestled below the street while the back of home has an infinity pool that cascades upon a wooded slope with winding paths and huge, mature trees that lead to a spacious fire pit and entrances to both an art studio and full-sized screening room. “It’s not a surprise an artist bought the home,” reflects Borris.
“This home has it all: tall ceilings with huge windows, large roof overhangs and tons of natural light, perfect for featuring an art collection. The house is very secluded and seamlessly flows from inside to out and while there is tons of space, its warm, inviting and the perfect setting to entertain and raise a family.” Borris has the rare combination of being trained as an Architect and a second-generation luxury home Builder. As a Designer, General Contractor, and Real Estate Broker, Borris and his team at Core Development Group view real estate market through a unique lens. Core expanded upon the original 1950’S floor plan, which at 2,600 square feet wouldn’t compete in today’s luxury market. “It was clear that the original home had to be respected and expanded without disrupting its original vision.” Most developers would have torn down the house rather than preserve and enhance it. As a Design-Builder, Core Development Group Specializes in good design and analyzing all facets with an understanding of the logistics and constraints that can have a profound effect on the final product.
“Keeping the original structure created challenges for integrating the old with the new by forcing us to build the house in sections. Building from the back to the front eventually closed off access to the site so staging construction was a big part of the process.” The wooded and sloped site created its own set of challenges. In the end, Core came up with a unique and special home unlike any other property.
“Core Development has an incredible ability to identify the needs of their clients and translate that into a seamless remodel or new home” says Teles Property president Peter Hernandez. “One of their strengths is turning challenging sites filled with problems into beautiful, livable environments that foster creativity and raises the bar for luxury homes in Los Angeles.” When you look at the photos of the original tired and dated home, you see the heart of this project and understand the incredible transformation and vision that Core Development Group saw from the beginning.”
HOME DESCRIPTION: Originally designed in 1953, this exquisite modern estate offers private serenity on just under an acre of wooded grounds up the street from the Beverly Hills Hotel. Expanded from the original 2,600 square foot, the sprawling 11,300 sq. ft. mostly single level home shows great respect and integrity for the original architecture and context upon which it sits.
Be at one with nature as the 14 ft. ceilings and walls of custom sliding wood doors that integrate the outdoor and indoor living spaces. Ensconced in a glen of mature trees, this home offers resort style living and includes a glass walled living room and dining room with wood burning fireplace that seamlessly opens to the outdoor entertaining area featuring a 40-foot infinity edge pool and spa, bar, and fully equipped outdoor dining room and kitchen. The estate also boasts an open chef’s kitchen with butler’s pantry and house managers desk. The home office has a private entrance, as do the guest and staff quarters. All 7 bedrooms have outdoor access to sunny courtyards.
A stunning architectural with 9 bathrooms, 2 family rooms, 3 fireplaces, multiple exterior entertaining areas, and a tiered movie theater with adjacent bar/lounge and 800 bottles conditioned wine cellar. This entertaining area opens to an oversized backyard with lush landscaping.
The master suite is a home of its own, with a large 3-sided floating fireplace wall and executive kitchen, huge his and her master bathrooms with a solid Calcutta marble wall with his and her showers opening to a Zen courtyard. The master bathroom also has dual exquisite closets, dual Toto toilets, and large soaking tub with ceiling waterfall feature.
No expense was spared in this home featuring custom white oak cabinetry, limestone and hardwood floors, marble and Caesar stone counters, with multiple Wolf and Sub-Zero appliances throughout. The most tech savvy buyer will delight in the thoughtfulness behind the home automation configuration which offers complete connectivity for all home technology including lighting, security, audio, tv/theater entertainment, cameras and nest thermostats.
The home exceeds environmental efficiency standards including a Rainwater Harvesting system capable of storing up to 4,000 gallons. Parking for 9 cars and a 2,000 sq. ft. secluded wellness center and extensive and secure storage for collectibles enhance this luxurious residence. This exquisite piece of dramatic contemporary architecture is a rare paradise that allows you to hide in plain sight while enjoying the benefits of living in the heart of the city.
2 family rooms
Full multi-level movie theater and attached bar/lounge for entertaining 800 bottle storage capacity walk-in conditioned wine cellar
40-foot Infinity edge Pool with Jacuzzi
2,000 sq. ft. exterior Wellness Center
5 car garage and parking for 3 additional cars
3 fireplaces – one original wood-burning Outdoor dining area with kitchen with bar Large Walk-in pantry
2 laundry rooms
2 full service bars, 1 with indoor/outdoor serving capability to pool area Designed and Built by Core Development Group
AMENITIES & FINISHESL:
Oak hardwood floors
Extensive use of stone and marble slabs Custom lighting
Custom Dual Master Bath with courtyard and fountain Master bath with steam shower
Custom Doors and Windows
Dorn Brecht Plumbing Fixtures
Lutron Homeworks QS Lighting control system that integrates security, hvac, sound, lighting, video- including 2 mini-iPad controllers
Wired for full connectivity with Wi-Fi access points throughout the property Security system including cameras and alarm
Intercom and camera entry system Nest thermostats
Video Distribution System prewired for HDBAseT (HDMI over Cat6) Video Distribution that supports the latest technologies and any future protocols.
Whole house sound system including speakers in all public rooms, exterior spaces, master suite Surround sound in family rooms and fully populated sound in movie theater
Automatic black out shades
60” Wolf Range
36” Sub-Zero refrigerator
36” Sub-Zero Freezer
42” Viking BBQ
LG Washers and Dryers (2 sets) High efficiency furnaces
6 zones heat and air conditioning
Rainwater Harvesting system capable of storing up to 4,000 gallons
Use of drought tolerant landscaping and efficient irrigation devices with weather-based satellite
3 tankless water heaters
ABOUT CORE DEVELOPMENT GROUP: Led by founder and chief Designer Josh Borris, Core Development Group is a full-service residential design and building firm that provides a comprehensive range of services including architectural design, site planning, construction documents, permitting, general contracting, interior design, project management, and client representation. Core Development Group specializes in creating unique and timeless homes; providing exceptional design, outstanding customer service, and continuously exceeding client expectations.
JOSH BORRIS: After earning his degree in Architecture from the University of Oregon, and more than a decade working in various capacities in Design, Construction and Real Estate Development, Josh Borris founded Core Development Group in 2003. His mission was to create a boutique firm that controls the process from conception to completion to ensure standards of excellence are maintained. Josh is a licensed General Contractor and Real Estate Broker.
DESGIN-BUILD: We’re often asked about the advantages of design-build over the conventional system of architect
and general contractor. It’s a great question and with over fifteen years of design-build experience under our belts, we feel like it’s a good time to call out our top ten reasons why the design-build
system is so good.
- Everybody is on the same team: We’re all in this together and we all have the same goal -to arrive at a successful project that meets or exceeds the client’s expectations for their project. When challenges are encountered on a project (and there are always challenges), pointing fingers is not an option, everyone rolls up their sleeves and works on solutions.
- Total accountability: One entity is accountable for everything -including how the result looks, how much it costs and the timeline of completion. When the same group that designs the project also builds the project, there tends to be much more attention given to pricing and scheduling in the design phase. The cost of everything is taken into account early in the process; all fees, construction costs, utilities, landscaping allowances -everything.
- Unfortunately, it’s not unusual for us to hear from people that “their remodel cost twice as much as the architect said it would” -such a scenario is entirely unacceptable in the design-build world. Design-build focuses on results, not excuses.
- Continuity: A design-build firm is involved from start to finish, which adds an inherent efficiency. The chance for things to fall through the cracks is greatly diminished.
- Expertise: Design-build firms are experts in both fields. The principals should have formal architectural training and experience in the architecture field. They should also have professional experience in construction and understand pricing, sequencing and how buildings go together.
- There is a tremendous advantage to working with architects that can think like builders and builders who can think like architects, but design-build is a commitment, something you dedicate yourself to for an entire career.
- Professional guides: We’ve all heard the stories that design and construction can get out of hand and messy. Design and construction shouldn’t be chaotic or stressful. A design build firm is a beacon to clients throughout the process, guiding the way to the best possible outcome. Design-build refines a system from beginning to end and manages the chaos into orderly steps.
- Involvement: Design-build operates under the assumption that the client actually wants to be an active participant in the design and construction of their home. By taking an involvement they’re guaranteeing that they get the outcome and satisfaction of their goals – what they want is going to be achieved. We’ve found that such an involvement is inspiring and gives people a lasting sense of pride about their home.
- Collaboration: Design-build cuts out the big egos so common in the design industry. In design-build the client retains total control over the project and the team is there to empower them.
- The best kind of communication is open, honest and often: Design-build is transparent because we want clients to understand the process and to know what’s going on. The best partnerships work, not because people say what everyone wants to hear, but because they say what everyone needs to hear. Through clear communication the budget is defined early on and it becomes the agreement for the entire project.
- Time is of the essence: Design and construction involves managing hundreds of timelines that need to coordinate in lockstep. Design-build creates opportunities for clients to sit with big decisions, ask questions, and consider their options. Anything the team can do to avoid taking steps backwards is going to lead to better, faster and more cost-effective results. The design-build system is highly adaptive and responsive in the field. Big decisions can be revisited during construction without change orders or additional fees. The conventional story is that if you make changes it will cost you money- not necessarily so in design-build.
- Cost savings: Inherent to the design-build model is savings. Time is money andultimately full accountability ensures that the owner does not get stuck footing the bill for mistakes.